BYLAWS OF THE
Article One: Name & Purpose
1. The name of the organization shall be the Alabama Baptist Religious Education Association.
2. The purpose of the association shall be to promote continuing education, professional development and networking among its members
3. The association shall operate in relationship with its Advisory Team and the Alabama Baptist State Board of Missions.
Article Two: Membership
1. The membership of the association shall
be composed of professional staff members who oversee the education,
discipleship and spiritual growth areas of Southern Baptist Churches in
2. The membership dues, if any, shall be determined annually by the duly elected officers and Advisory Team.
Article Three: Leadership & Policy
1. The officers and their duties shall be as follows:
†††† a. President
†††††††† (1) Lead the association and its members to achieve purposes stated above
†††††††† (2) Preside over the regular and called meetings of the association
†††††††† (3) Lead the officers and Advisory Team in nominating future officers
†††† b. Vice-President
†††††††† (1) Shall move into the presidency after one year or if office is vacated
†††††††† (2) Preside in the absence of or at the request of the president
†††††††† (3) Provide leadership as needed by the president
†††† c. Second Vice-President
†††††††† (1) Shall become vice-president after one year
†††††††† (2) Serve with officers in providing leadership to the organization
†††††††† (3) Provide leadership as requested by the president
†††† d. Secretary & Communications Director
†††††††† (1) Record minutes of regular and called meetings
†††††††† (2) Maintain a list of members to facilitate networking
†††††††† (3) Maintain the organizationís web-site.
†††† e. Treasurer
†††††††† (1) Receive funds from members and give receipt for the same
†††††††† (2) Disburse funds according to requests approved by the president
†††††††† (3) Provide financial report to the officers as requested
†††† f. State Board of Missions Representative (ABREA Advisor)
†††††††† (1) Serve as liaison between ABREA and the State Board of Missions
†††††††† (2) Work with secretary and president in maintaining an up-to-date list of members
†††††††† (3) Assist with promotion of annual meeting
† †††g. Network Coordinator
†††††††† (1) Organize smaller geographical divisions of the state for the purpose of networking
†††††††† (2) Promote networking through regional meetings throughout the year
†††††††† (3) Enlist regional leaders as needed
†††††††† (4) Work with the Communications Director in maintaining current information on the web site
†††† h. Advisory Team
†††††††† (1) Support the president in leading the association to achieve purposes stated above
†††††††† (2) Support and guide the officers of the organization
†††††††† (3) Provide advice on administrative and operational procedures†††
†††††††† (4) The advisory team is composed of the past three presidents of the organization and the State Board of Missions Representative.
2. Term of Office
††† a. The following officers are eligible for re-election: Network Coordinator, Secretary and Treasurer, and ALSBOM Representative.
††† b. Other officers are eligible for re-election after two years.
3. The President and officers of the organization shall serve as the program committee for the annual meeting.
4. The officers shall take office at the end of the program activities of the regular meeting.†
5. Any vacancies of officers or Advisory Team members shall be filled by the President and Advisory Team.
6.† These bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of all members present and voting at
†††† the annual meeting.
ABREA Officers & Advisory Team
Office ††††††††††††††††††††††† 2008
President†††††††††††††††††††† John Johnston
Vice President†††††††††††† Mike Davis
Second Vice Pres.††††† Brent Shaw
Treasurer††††††††††††††††††† Chuck Ashley
Secretary/Commun.†† Jay Gordon
State Rep.†††††††††††††††††† Rick Ellison
Network Coord.†††††††††† Topper Reid
Advisory Team††††††††††† ††††††††††† Steve Layton (07)†††††††
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Bob Ledlow (06)
††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† Michael Gentry (05)